Monday, November 2, 2009

I Want to be a Saint

I once heard someone say that they hoped to make it to heaven and hear God say to them, "Well done, my faithful servant." I used to just worry about just getting into heaven much less what I would be told. Those words have stayed with me for years. It's a shame I can't remember where I heard them.

Yesterday's homily was about today's "All Saints Day" holiday. The priest said a lot of wonderful things but since we have the honor of going to mass with a 5 and 3 yr-old, a lot of his message was lost on me. The part that I do remember was how we should all want to be Saints. He said that when asked what we wanted to be, our response as Catholics should be, "I want to be a Saint." If our ultimate goal is to make it into heaven, then our only earthly goal should be to be a Saint.

I have thought about that all day and especially today when I remember family members who have passed away. My Memere, Abuelito Florencio, my Aunt Celeste and of course, my parents. I think about the day that we will all be together again. I want to see God. I want to see my family and friends. I want to finally understand what this whole adventure has been about.

So now I have a whole new set of words to focus on... I want to be a Saint.

PS: Being a Saint's football player does not count! :)

* Image from HauntedNewOrleans.com

1 comment:

Petit Elefant said...

I just want to make it through today, does that count?