Monday, October 27, 2008

Gain the World and Lose My Soul

I heard this song and I cannot explain how it has spoken to my heart. Listen and think about it, how great if we all felt like this?



I know, I know. Not everyone is a Catholic, a Christian, a Mormon, a Jew or a Muslim. We don't all believe in a higher being but I don't think it matters. Why does "soul" have to always have a spiritual meaning? We are all human beings, we all have feelings and we should always want to do right by each other - regardless of our belief system.

I remember one day talking to my dad about God. As a bratty teenager, I kept coming up with 100's of "What If" questions. Finally, the conversation ended something like this. My dad said to me, "All right, Laura, so what if there is no God? There is no Heaven? Would it have really hurt you to be nice to everyone, to not lie or steal, to feed people you know are hungry? Huh, hon?"

Med school will be over before we know it and I am pretty sure Residency will pass just as quickly. And then what? Harold and I will have close to $250k in school debt but will still be able to start scratching off our dream list of things we want to buy. Things we will not only need but want. I'm scared of that day as much as I am excited. I'm scared we'll become different people and lose sight of what we know and believe is important. Maybe I'm just not giving myself enough credit. 

I just don't want to gain the world and lose my soul.

No comments: